Hopes of uncovering the full facts about the Lockerbie bombing have suffered a setback as the Libyan Government grapples with rebuilding the war torn country, it emerged yesterday.

It is understood files that could potentially reveal what the Gaddafi regime knew about the atrocity have yet to be opened up.

And the detailed process of going through the documents could even have to wait until after next year's General Elections.

Loading article content

The trial of Colonel Gaddafi's son, Saif, also faces delay amid wrangling between the new Libyan Government and the International Criminal Court.

And it is believed Libya's interim government has to repair the justice system before the Gaddafi officials in custody can be interrogated by UK police. This must be done to ensure any evidence obtained is admissable in future prosecutions.

Despite the problems, the UK expressed hopes yesterday that police investigating the Lockerbie bombing could visit the North African state soon.

There has been intense speculation about the secrets high-ranking officials in the Gaddafi regime could reveal.

The seizing of thousands of files from his Government's ministries has also raised hopes they contain crucial clues about what Colonel Gaddafi. who ruled Libya for almost three decades, knew about the bombing.

On a visit to the UK last week, Libya's Interior Minister assured the UK Government his administration was committed to doing all it could to help the investigation into the bombing.

He also pledged his support and co-operation to London police investigating the murder of PC Yvonne Fletcher, shot outside the UK Libyan embassy, and also to those demanding reparation for Gaddafi's support of the IRA.

Diplomats said Mr Abdilal had been clear in his commitment to the inquiries during his visit.

"This is an issue we have raised at pretty much every high level meeting that we have had," said one senior diplomat.

"He said he was very happy for his ministry and others to co-operate with us on these issues. The commitment is there to work with us."

But he added: "They are just themselves working to overcome a violent conflict and grappling to sort out their ministries and archives and it might take them a little bit of time."

UK officials also hope that police investigating PC Fletcher's murder will "soon" travel to Libya.

As well as setting up new ministries the interim government is also in the process of rebuilding the police, court and legal systems in the war-ravaged country.

At the same time they have started a process designed to disarm an estimated 75,000 militia members, all of whom helped to overthrow the Gaddafi regime as part of the Arab Spring uprising.

It is thought that, eventually, around one-third of these fighters will be brought into the Libyan police force.

The new ruling Government first announced it would co-operate with police investigating the Lockerbie bombing in the aftermath of victory in the uprising.

Dumfries and Galloway Police, which is leading the Lockerbie investigation, recently increased the number of officers on the case in anticipation of visiting Libya to collect more evidence. Last year officers from the force interviewed Moussa Koussa, the former foreign minister, when he was in briefly based in London following his defection.

A total of 270 people died when Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie on December 21, 1988.

The only man convicted of the bombing, Abdelbaset al Megrahi, was sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001.

He was released on compassionate grounds in 2009 after doctors said he had just three months to live following a diagnosis of terminal cancer.

He returned to Libya and is still alive, almost two-and-a-half years after his release.