A G4S security guard has appeared in court charged with murdering a Thai woman at a conference in Glasgow.

Clive Carter, 34, is accused of murdering 42-year-old Khanokporn Satjawat on Monday. He allegedly struck her on the head and body with a weapon in the female toilets on the second floor of the Clyde Auditorium.

Ms Satjawat, a manager at global pharmaceutical company Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS), was attending as a delegate at an HIV treatment conference when she was found at 2.30pm.

Loading article content

Paramedics were called but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Carter, of Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, appeared in private on petition at the city's sheriff court yesterday. He appeared before Sheriff Danny Scullion and is expected in court again next week for a further hearing.

Defence solicitor Diarmid Bruce said: "My client made no plea or declaration and was remanded in custody pending further examination."

Ms Satjawat posted a photograph of a presentation within the auditorium on her Facebook page at around 9.15am on the day she died.

Strathclyde Police confirmed her family and employers had been notified of the tragedy.

A BMS spokesman said: "I can confirm one of our employees, Khanokporn Satjawat, died unexpectedly while travelling on company business.

"We are shocked and saddened by the events surrounding our colleague's death.

"Our thoughts are with her family during this difficult time and we are providing them with the support they need."

The SECC said its staff were helping police with their investigation, but refused to comment any further.

A spokesman said: "The SECC has been informed that a man has been charged in relation to the death of a female visitor at our premises on Monday, November 12.

"We are continuing to work closely with the police and assist them in their ongoing investigation. At this time our thoughts and condolences are with the family, friends and colleagues of Khanokporn Satjawat.

"We have no further statement at this time.

"We are working closely with the police and operating under their guidance, therefore we are not able to disclose any further information."

A G4S spokeswoman added: "As this is the subject of a criminal investigation, G4S has no comment at this time."

The Royal Thai Embassy in London was unavailable for comment.

Delegates from all over the world are taking part in the conference, which began on Sunday and ends today. All were questioned by police and moved elsewhere within the SECC to complete their meetings and lectures.