More than 500 people have come forward as victims of the late DJ and television presenter Jimmy Savile.
More than 200 allegations of sexual assault have been recorded, Scotland Yard said yesterday, with a report into child sex crimes by Savile, who died in October last year at the age of 84, due to be published early in the new year.
The report draws on the testimony of scores of victims and will provide as clear a picture as possible of Savile's offending, a force spokesman said.
Loading article content
Savile is now believed to have been one of the UK's most prolific abusers. It is alleged the TV star abused young people on BBC premises, in hospitals, care homes and at Broadmoor psychiatric hospital.
"We are extremely grateful to those victims who have contacted us and commend their bravery. Without them we would have no investigation," a spokesman said. "To date, in excess of 500 victims have come forward and we have recorded 200 allegations of sexual assault."
Seven people, including celebrity publicist Max Clifford, have been questioned in connection with Operation Yewtree, which involves a team of 30 officers and has already cost around £2 million.
"The report is based on information provided from scores of victims who have come forward since early October," the police spokesman said.
"It is hoped it will be published early in the new year and will provide as clear a picture as possible on Savile's offending, giving a voice to those who have come forward and helping shape future child protection safeguards."
Mr Clifford protested his innocence after being questioned by detectives last Thursday.