l Kate Cranston was a generous patron to Charles Rennie Mackintosh and between 1897 and 1917 he designed or restyled all four of her tea rooms in Glasgow.
l He designed murals for her Buchanan Street Tea Rooms and furniture for her Argyle Street Tea Rooms.
l Mackintosh designed the White Dining Room for the Ingram Street premises in 1900 and in 1911 he created the Chinese Room there.
Loading article content
l In 1903/04 he was given the freedom to design the exterior and interior of the Willow Tea Rooms at 217 Sauchiehall Street.
l The location selected by Ms Cranston was a four-storey former warehouse building.
l Sauchiehall is derived from "saugh", the Scots word for a willow tree, and "haugh", a grove or meadow.
l Following the death of her husband in 1917, Ms Cranston sold her businesses and the Sauchiehall Street Tea Rooms were put to other uses, including a department store.
l Anne Mulhern re-opened the tea rooms in 1983.