AN elderly man has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out at his sheltered housing property.

Two fire crews attended the incident at Kelly Court in Broad Street, Stirling, at 8.35am yesterday.

The man was taken from the property by staff before the fire service arrived and given first aid. He was taken to hospital for a check-up.

Loading article content

A member of staff prevented the flames from spreading further by throwing a bucket of water onto the fire, which was caused by smouldering cigarettes, a fire service spokesman said.

The spokesman called on smokers to take care when putting out cigarettes.

He said: "It is vital smokers make sure they have fully extinguished cigarettes and matches immediately after use and, once lit, they should never be left unattended.

"Discarded smoking materials are a common cause of house fires - it only takes a moment of carelessness to cause a fire.

"Thankfully, having a working smoke alarm alerted the occupant to the fire and gave that vital early warning."