A girl whose brain was accidentally injected with glue during treatment at Great Ormond Street Hospital is to receive a multimillion-pound damages payout.

Despite having a rare medical condition, Maisa Najeeb was a healthy 10-year-old until she went into hospital in June 2010.

On other occasions, she had successfully received embolisation treatment, which involves injecting glue to block off bleeding blood vessels, and a harmless dye being used to check the flow of blood.

Loading article content

But on this occasion, said solicitor Edwina Rawson, there was no system to distinguish the syringes containing glue and those containing dye, and they got mixed up. This resulted in glue being injected into the artery to Maisha's brain, causing catastrophic and permanent brain damage.

Judge Birtles at London's High Court approved a settlement against Great Ormond Street Hospital For Children NHS Trust of £2.8 million, plus £383,000 a year until Maisha is 19, increasing to £423,000 for as long as she lives, which some experts say could be into her 60s.