A BABY who was flown to Scotland for treatment after surviving a gas explosion in Pakistan which wiped out his family has been taken off a ventilator following a successful operation in Glasgow.

Mohammad Sudais, who came out of theatre at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill on Wednesday evening, was in a stable condition in the high dependency ward yesterday, where he was receiving oxygen.

The operation, led by consultant Stuart Watson, saw reconstruction work carried out on his eyes and mouth. Mohammad sustained 80% skin loss to his face in the blast.

Loading article content

It is hoped that the baby, who is four months old and travelled to Scotland eight days ago on an Afghan passport with a six-month medical visa, will soon be granted the right to stay in Britain permanently by the UK Borders Agency.

He was brought to Glasgow by his uncle, Mohammad Asif, who has lived in the city for 15 years. He plans to adopt his nephew, who lost his parents and 13-month old brother in the explosion at their home in Peshawar, which it is believed was caused by a gas outage.

More than £15,000 has been donated to a fundraising appeal.The money will be used to help pay for medical treatment for Mohammad as he gets older.