A BABY boy who was severely burned in a gas explosion in Pakistan is continuing to make good progress after he was flown to Scotland for treatment.

Four-month-old Mohammad Sudais, who lost his parents and older brother when a gas outage caused an eruption at their home in Peshawar, had dressings removed from his eyes and mouth area yesterday following an operation last week.

He suffered 80% full thickness skin loss to his face and was successfully operated on at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Yorkhill, Glasgow, after being brought to the country by his uncle.

Loading article content

The baby is still in recovery but is now able to close his eyes, which he had not been able to do previously. His mouth is also less constricted as a result of successful skin grafts.

Mohammad is expected to need several operations over a number of years and it is hoped that he will be granted permission to stay in Britain permanently by the UK Borders Agency.