AROUND 400 British tourists have returned to the UK from Kenya after 10 people were killed in two explosions in the capital Nairobi.

The holidaymakers were flown back from the east African country's other main town, Mombasa, by tour operators Thomson and First Choice.

The move came after the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) amended its Kenya travel advice, warning against all but essential travel to parts of Mombasa.

Loading article content

Thomson and First Choice said that the last flight carrying British tourists back to the UK arrived at Gatwick airport on Friday night at around 10.30pm.

Tourist Alex Dolphin, from Surrey, arrived back having spent three days at a resort at Diani Beach.

He said: "I didn't feel uneasy until we were in a convoy of three coaches parked on the roadside waiting to leave for the airport. I was keeping an eye open as we drove through Mombasa."

Other holidaymakers had mixed views on the way the situation was handled.

One man said it had been a shambles but other returning holidaymakers said tour companies were very professional.

In addition to those killed in the attacks, around 70 people were thought to have been injured. Both explosions were in the Gikombna Market area near Nairobi's Somali-populated Eastleigh district.