Guinea's capital Conakry has recorded its first new Ebola cases in more than a month, while other previously unaffected areas have also reported infections in the past week, according to the World Health Organisation.
The spread of the two-month-old outbreak risks further complicating the fight against the virus. "The situation is serious, you can't say it is under control as cases are continuing and it is spreading geographically," Dr Pierre Formenty, a WHO expert who recently returned from Guinea, told a news briefing in Geneva yesterday. "There was no decline. In fact it is because we are not able to capture all the outbreak that we were under the impression there was a decline," he said.
The WHO reported two new cases, including one death, between May 25 and 27 in Conakry.
Loading article content