A construction worker has died on the site of the new Queensferry Crossing after reportedly being struck by part of a crane.

Another worker also suffered "minor injuries" in the incident on the north tower deck at about midday on Thursday.

Read more: Pictures depict progress on the new Forth bridge

Loading article content

Work on the site has stopped while the death of the 60-year-old man is investigated.

Construction workers' union UCATT said it is understood the man was struck by the boom of a crane he was directing.

Union leaders said the death on Workers' Memorial Day was a poignant reminder of the dangers in the construction industry.

The £1.4 billion bridge is set to open in December. Work started in 2011 and the death is thought to be the first fatality at the site.

A spokesman for the Queensferry Crossing project said: "We are deeply saddened to have to confirm there was an incident just before noon on April 28 on the Queensferry Crossing's north tower in which a person has lost his life.

"One other person has been taken to hospital. All activity has been stopped at the north tower.

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of our colleague and co-worker at this time."

UCATT regional secretary Harry Frew said: "UCATT sends its sincere condolences to the family of the worker who has suffered this tragic accident. It is impossible to imagine how they must be feeling.

"UCATT will be doing everything it can to find out how and why this accident occurred, and to ensure that similar fatalities are prevented in the future."

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "We are currently working alongside our partner agencies to investigate an incident on the Queensferry Crossing bridge that resulted in a man sustaining fatal injuries.

"The call was received around 12.20pm on Thursday and, sadly, the man was pronounced dead a short time later. Another man on the bridge also sustained minor injuries.

"Enquiries to establish the full circumstances surrounding this matter are ongoing."

Pat Rafferty, Unite's Scottish secretary, said: "Our thoughts are with the deceased's family to whom we offer our profound condolences.

"Once again, a loved one has gone to work and will not return home. That is hard to swallow any day but on today of all days, on International Workers' Memorial Day, when we remember those who have perished at work, this loss is especially poignant.

Read more: Queensferry Crossing on course to open by end of year 'almost £1bn under budget'

"We call on the Scottish Health and Safety Executive to thoroughly investigate what has happened here."

Bernard McAulay, Unite's national officer for the construction sector said: "Thirty-five construction workers lost their lives last year and there were over 65,000 reported workplace incidents that led to ill health.

"That means that around one in four of those who lose their life at work is a construction worker. This is just unacceptable.

"Lessons must be learned because workers must be confident that they are working in safety, especially in construction which is already one of the most dangerous occupations in this country.

"There can never be any corners cut where health and safety is concerned.

"We need an urgent investigation into this tragic death at Queensferry, but it is crucial that trade unions play a part in that process of establishing the facts."