HARLOW FC eased the pain of their Ryman League division one opening-day 6-1 defeat by Worthing with a brilliant hat-trick of wins last week.

In last Wednesday's local derby against East Ham United, goals from Danny Cowley, Marc Tompkins and Jon Hooker saw the Hawks win 3-0.

On Saturday Harlow ended Wealdstone's perfect start to the season with a 2-0 win over the Middlesex outfit.

Loading article content

Harlow had the better of the first half but had to wait until the 37th minute for their opening goal, a diving header from Tony McNally.

The second half was more even with Wealdstone's Richard McDonagh hitting the post on 57 minutes with a free kick.

However, it was Harlow who were next to score when a long throw from Cowley was touched on by Marc Tompkins to Paul Abbott, a loan signing from Stevenage, who knocked the ball home.

Wealdstone threw everything forward but Harlow keeper James Hassell was able to keep a clean sheet.

There was a new experience for the Hawks on Monday at Uxbridge as, for the first time in the club's history, their match was refereed by a woman.

Alison Chapman, from Woking, issued three yellow cards to each side.

Uxbridge took the lead on two minutes when Banford headed home a corner. Less than a minute later, Marc Salmon knocked home Jon Coley's cross from the right to level the scores.

On seven minutes, a shot from Abbott was deflected by the Uxbridge keeper to the feet of Tompkins, who swept the ball home to give Harlow a 2-1 lead.

Within a minute of the second half, Harlow extended their lead when Hassell's free kick was headed on by Tompkins to Coley, whose deft chip cleared Tony Wells in the Uxbridge goal.

Uxbridge narrowed the gap on 73 minutes when a Paul Mills cross found Gavin Banford who fired past Hassell.

In the dying seconds, Hassell saved the win for the Hawks when he bravely smothered the ball at the feet of Uxbridge's Thrape.

This weekend, Harlow face United Counties League outfit Stotfold in the preliminary round of FA Cup.