• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Coulson 'unaware' Milly phone hacked

Andy Coulson yesterday denied knowing Milly Dowler's phone was hacked while he was in charge of the News of the World.

The former Downing Street spin doctor said he did not know anything about the resulting "fairly unremarkable story".

Coulson told jurors he did not remember it, or recall speaking to then editor Rebekah Brooks about it.

The 46-year-old was at the helm of the Sunday paper in April 2002 when private investigator Glenn Mulcaire hacked Milly's voicemails.

A message left on the murdered schoolgirl's phone suggested she may have applied for work in a factory in Telford.

Coulson, who was deputy editor at the time, said he remembered a conversation about the theory but said: "I thought it was nonsense because Milly Dowler was a 13-year-old schoolgirl."

On April 14, 2002, the tabloid ran a story entitled Milly Hoax Riddle.

He said he would not have known from the content that anybody at the NotW had been involved in hacking Milly's phone.

Coulson, of Charing, Kent, is charged with conspiring to hack phones with Brooks and Kuttner and conspiring with former royal editor Clive Goodman to commit misconduct in a public office.

All seven defendants deny charges against them.

The trial continues.

Contextual targeting label: 
Block list

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

226798