• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Council fined £20,000 over tenant's fall

A council has been fined £20,000 for serious safety failings after a 77-year-old tenant fell four feet through an access hole in her hallway that had been left uncovered by council workers.

Renfrewshire Council admitted breaching Section 3(1) of the Health And Safety At Work Act 1974 when Margaret O'Donnell suffered arm and thigh fractures in the fall. It happened while workers were installing a new central heating boiler in her flat in Paisley in 2010.

Paisley Sheriff Court was told each boiler installation is normally completed in a day and involves a hatch cut in the floorboards to allow access to pipe work and cabling.

Following the case, HSE Inspector Russell Berry, said: "Simple measures, such as a temporary plywood cover, would have eliminated the risks and prevented this incident."

Contextual targeting label: 
Local government

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

238209