Having a favourite chair in the living room, spending more time in the shed and an inability to recognise the names of stars in the top 40 are other clear examples that UK men have reached that time in their lives.
The survey of 2,000 people, which also found that 38 was thought to be the average age when they turned into their dads, was carried out for TV channel Gold.
One-fifth of the female respondents said they thought they had married a man like their own father.
Top signs a man is turning into his father according to the survey:
1. Falling asleep in front room
2. Having a favourite chair
3. Public "dad dancing"
4. Spending time in the shed
5. Making awful jokes only they find funny
6. Don't know artists in the top 40
7. Spending longer on the toilet
8. Keeping an eye on the thermostat
9. Excitement about discounts on tools
10. Finding it funny to embarrass younger members of the family