• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Clergyman assault charge is dropped

A SUSPENDED minister who was due to go on trial accused of assaulting a child has had the charge against him dropped.

Reverend Nigel Parker was claimed to have struck a seven-year-old boy's face and hand earlier this year. Police were called in after the alleged offence was reported on May 19.

The minister of Stoneywood Church in the Bucksburn area of Aberdeen denied the offence. He was suspended from his duties at the church and was due to go on trial at the city's sheriff court next month.

Yesterday it emerged the case against him had been deserted by the Crown.

A Church of Scotland spokesman said Rev Parker remained suspended. He said: "Under Church law the church has a process to follow before it can close the matter. It has not considered anything at this time."

Reverend Parker declined to comment on the case.

Contextual targeting label: 
Block list

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

190789