The 68-year-old spoke only to confirm his name and that he understood his bail conditions at the preliminary hearing at the Old Bailey.
He has indicated that he will plead not guilty to the charges, which are said to have taken place between 1977 and 2007 against nine alleged victims aged 15 to 29.
Travis has denied any wrongdoing since he was first arrested in November last year.
After the hearing, Travis told reporters inside the court that he would not talk about the case. He said: "I've got nothing to say."
Earlier, Travis, whose real name is David Patrick Griffin, had made no comment as he walked past a pack of television cameramen and photographers on his way into court.
He was released on bail on condition that he lives at his home in Mentmore, Bedfordshire, and does not contact the alleged victims.
Mr Justice Sweeney adjourned the case for a hearing on October 21 and fixed a trial date for March 4 next year.
The trial is expected to last four to five weeks.
Travis was charged last month as part of Operation Yewtree, the investigation prompted by the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal.