• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Flats residents given all-clear on asbestos

MORE than 100 residents who were moved out of a block of flats when asbestos was disturbed by maintenance workers have been allowed to return to their homes.

North Lanarkshire ­Council moved all tenants from Anderson Tower in Motherwell on Thursday as a precautionary measure after concerns were raised.

The substance was disturbed during mains cabling replacement work that was being carried out at the tower by ScottishPower, the council said.

Residents stayed in hotels, temporary council accommodation or with friends and family over the weekend while the clean-up continued. Meal and accommodation costs for those in hotels have been paid by ScottishPower's contractor.

Some asbestos dust had been found in halls and lobbies of the block but tests have now found it to be clear.

The council's operations manager Stephen Llewellyn said: "The decision to allow residents to return to their homes was taken only after the council was satisfied the building had been properly deep-cleaned and test results showed clear."

An investigation is being carried out into the incident.

Contextual targeting label: 
Local government

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

245860