• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Hundreds stranded as island ferry breaks down yet again

Hundreds of passengers were left stranded for 24 hours after a ferry broke down on only its second day back in service after returning following lengthy repairs.

The MV Clansman’s breakdown caused severe disruption at the height of the busiest  weekend of the year on the Isle of Barra.

Loading article content

It occurred during the two-day Barrafest and left the majority of people who had planned to begin their journey back to the mainland on Saturday night, after the festival finished, stuck on the island when the ferry returned empty to Oban to undergo repairs. It left the mainland again last night at 7.30pm, half an hour behind schedule, and was due to arrive in Castlebay sometime after midnight to return with the stranded passengers. Around 80 people made it off the island  yesterday afternoon on another boat. The 12-year-old Clansman had been out of service for a month for repairs to its starboard engine but returned to  operational duties on Friday, in time for the first day of the music festival. However, on Saturday, the boat developed a fault in its port engine on its way to Barra, breaking down some 20 miles south of the island. It eventually limped into  harbour two and a half hours late and left again without  picking up waiting passengers. A second ferry, MV Loch Nevis, which normally operates  on the Small Isles routes, was diverted to Barra yesterday  afternoon to collect a lorry  carrying an expensive cargo of shellfish and take it to Mallaig. The produce, worth thousands of pounds, was in danger of being lost had it not reached the  mainland swiftly. Around 80 passengers were also able to travel on the Loch Nevis, leaving Barra at 2.30pm yesterday. Buses were laid on to take people from Mallaig to Oban and Glasgow. A spokesman for CalMac apologised for the disruption. The delayed passengers were due to arrive in Oban around 5am today. The recent troubles with the ferry have been described as a blow to the island economy,  with some hoteliers claiming the disruption has cost them a  quarter of their entire year’s  takings, due to the ferry breakdown coinciding with peak season. Guy Adams, one of the  owners of the Isle of Barra Hotel, expressed frustration at the  continuing problems. “Most people are upset and angry but are totally impotent,” Adams said yesterday afternoon. “We have been full over the festival and guests have been on several coach tours of the island already -- and they are now on another one to the same places they have already visited. But what else can they do? “CalMac needs a suitable replacement vessel so that when there’s a problem like this there is adequate back-up. “We have lost about 15% of our takings for the year -- because this has hit the main weeks -- due to the problems over the past month with the ferry.” The boat which operated the route when the Clansman was out of service is smaller and Adams added: “Some people who travelled on the relief vessel say they are never coming back to the Western Isles -- they  complain that the boat was full up, the crossing is too long and they were seasick.” Western Isles MP Angus  MacNeil said: “There is no doubt that the local economy has suffered. “The latest breakdown could not have come at a worst time.  There were hundreds of people wanting to get back to the mainland.”  

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.