• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Local community shocked by deaths

Tributes have been paid to a family of three who all died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a caravan park.

The deceased were named locally as John Cook, 90, his wife Audrey, 86, and their 46-year-old daughter Maureen.

Firefighters were forced to break into their static caravan at Tremarle Home Park, North Roskear, Cornwall, after a helper became concerned for their welfare.

News of the tragedy has rocked the residential park community, where many elderly couples live.

Neighbour Sue Issac, 58, said: "Everyone here is in total shock. You never think that something like this would happen on your own doorstep.

"John, Audrey and Maureen were lovely people."

The alarm was raised at around 1pm yesterday after the family failed to respond to knocks on the door from the couple's helper.

It is believed the family may have been using a heater to keep warm as the region experienced freezing conditions overnight into the weekend.

A spokesman for Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service confirmed carbon monoxide poisoning was believed to have caused the deaths.

Contextual targeting label: 
Families

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

142736