Frank Mulholland said they will work alongside Scottish and US investigators who are trying to establish if there are other individuals in Libya who could be brought to trial for their involvement in the attack.
Abdelbaset al-Megrahi is the only person to have been convicted of the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Scotland in which 270 people were killed.
Megrahi, who was released from jail by the Scottish government on compassionate grounds after being diagnosed with prostate cancer, died last year protesting his innocence.
Since the fall of the Gaddafi regime in 2011, British investigators have visited the country to try to uncover new evidence.
Mr Mulholland said: "The court found Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi guilty of the bombing but recognised it was an act of state terrorism and he did not act alone. We are still looking for others and the evidence leads to Libya.
"I went to Libya in 2012 and a Scottish and US justice law enforcement delegation met with senior officials from the Libyan government earlier this year. Since then there has been ongoing contact and cooperation from the Libyan authorities.
"Recently they appointed two Libyan prosecutors who will work with Scottish and US prosecutors to assist with the investigation into the bombing. This is a very welcome development which I hope will bear fruit and result in bringing others to justice."
The development comes as the 25th anniversary of the bombing nears on December 21.
A series of events in Lockerbie, London and Washington in the US will be held to remember the 270 people that died.
Mr Mulholland added: "As we move towards the 25th anniversary of the bombing of Pan Am 103 over the town of Lockerbie we must not lose sight of the magnitude of the tragedy which claimed 270 lives.
"It is still the worst act of terrorism on UK soil. More than 400 parents lost a child, 46 parents lost their only child, seven children lost both parents, 65 women lost a husband, 11 men lost a wife and more than 140 children lost one of their parents."