• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Man hospitalised after bedroom fire

A MAN was taken to hospital after being rescued from a severe fire in a flat bedroom.

Firefighters were called to the first-floor property in Portobello, Edinburgh, at around 5.20am yesterday.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue said six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat and led two men to safety.

She added: "A 50-year-old man was suffering from severe smoke inhalation and was given oxygen by officers before paramedics took him to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

"The other man was checked over but didn't need to go to hospital.

"The fire caused severe damage to the bedroom it started in and smoke damage to the rest of the flat and the central stairs of the building."

The building was checked for damage but other residents in the block did not need to be evacuated, the spokeswoman added.

Firefighters also dealt with a kitchen fire in the capital late on Wednesday night.

A resident of the property in Claverhouse Drive tried to extinguish the blaze before leaving the house to wait for the fire service to arrive.

A neighbour then entered the house to ensure the fire was out.

He was led to safety by firefighters and given treatment for smoke inhalation.

He did not need further medical attention.

Contextual targeting label: 
Automotive

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

114000