• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Man rescued from fire at sheltered housing

AN elderly man has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out at his sheltered housing property.

Two fire crews attended the incident at Kelly Court in Broad Street, Stirling, at 8.35am yesterday.

The man was taken from the property by staff before the fire service arrived and given first aid. He was taken to hospital for a check-up.

A member of staff prevented the flames from spreading further by throwing a bucket of water onto the fire, which was caused by smouldering cigarettes, a fire service spokesman said.

The spokesman called on smokers to take care when putting out cigarettes.

He said: "It is vital smokers make sure they have fully extinguished cigarettes and matches immediately after use and, once lit, they should never be left unattended.

"Discarded smoking materials are a common cause of house fires - it only takes a moment of carelessness to cause a fire.

"Thankfully, having a working smoke alarm alerted the occupant to the fire and gave that vital early warning."

Contextual targeting label: 
Fire

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

207266