• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Ministers criticised for silence on crash

THE failure of defence ministers to take Commons questions on a report into the fatal collision of two Tornado jets is "disgraceful", MPs have been told.

Angus Robertson, defence spokesman for the SNP, ­highlighted the acceptance of liability for the crash by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) earlier this week.

He condemned ministers for not making a statement in the Chamber. A written statement was published on Monday.

Mr Robertson highlighted the fact that today is the second anniversary of the crash in which three service personnel died when two Tornados collided over the Moray Firth.

He added: "Yesterday, the Ministry of Defence accepted liability for the collision but they have not updated the House or appropriate Parliamentarians on the MoD's responsibility, or answered questions on the Service Inquiry report which was published on Monday.

"The whole situation is frankly disgraceful."

Flight Lieutenant Hywel Poole, 28, Flight Lieutenant Adam Sanders, 27, and Squadron Leader Samuel Bailey, 36, died in the collision on July 3, 2012, while a fourth crewman was badly injured. Air accident investigators said a collision warning system could have helped prevent the crash.

Contextual targeting label: 
Transport Tragedy

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

244835