• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Multimillion payout for NHS error

A girl whose brain was accidentally injected with glue during treatment at Great Ormond Street Hospital is to receive a multimillion-pound damages payout.

Despite having a rare medical condition, Maisa Najeeb was a healthy 10-year-old until she went into hospital in June 2010.

On other occasions, she had successfully received embolisation treatment, which involves injecting glue to block off bleeding blood vessels, and a harmless dye being used to check the flow of blood.

But on this occasion, said solicitor Edwina Rawson, there was no system to distinguish the syringes containing glue and those containing dye, and they got mixed up. This resulted in glue being injected into the artery to Maisha's brain, causing catastrophic and permanent brain damage.

Judge Birtles at London's High Court approved a settlement against Great Ormond Street Hospital For Children NHS Trust of £2.8 million, plus £383,000 a year until Maisha is 19, increasing to £423,000 for as long as she lives, which some experts say could be into her 60s.

Contextual targeting label: 
Health

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

208687