• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Oil worker suing over asbestos

A FORMER North Sea oil worker is suing Shell after he was allegedly exposed to deadly asbestos dust more than 40 years ago.

Bill Jones, 67, cannot walk up stairs without getting breathless and is given two hours of oxygen treatment a day. He claims his health troubles were caused by inhaling the toxic powder while working for the firm in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

He was using a drilling chemical called Flosal, which may have contained up to 95 per cent powdered asbestos.

The father-of-two, from Knowsley, Merseyside, said: "The dust I was exposed to was in such great volumes that, often after emptying sacks of Flosal, the room became a swirling mass of dust as the powder billowed up. My colleagues and I looked like snowmen within minutes."

Shell declined to comment on the case as it is the subject of ongoing litigation.

Contextual targeting label: 
Health

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

254259