Five children, all under the age of two, have been rushed to Glasgow's Royal Hospital for Sick Children in the past 18 months after swallowing the sachets. The youngest child was just 10 months old.
Medics warn the incidents could have been fatal and are calling for improved safety warnings and childproof packaging for laundry and dishwasher detergent capsules.
Dr Lyndsay Fraser, from the hospital's ear nose and throat department, said: "We have known for some time about the risk of eye injuries from kids squeezing these liquitabs until they burst. What we have seen more recently is that children are biting into the capsules, presumably because they think they are sweets as they have the same soft texture and bright colouring.
"The alkaline chemicals in the liquitab cause an immediate chemical burn, causing breathing problems as the airway starts to swell rapidly.
"Getting them to hospital straight away is imperative. In most cases we have had to insert a breathing tube to protect the child's airway from the swelling and help them breathe. If these children hadn't reached A&E on time, the airway could close over completely with potentially fatal consequences."
Experts say that if untreated, the solvents can erode the gullet tissue and cause lethal damage to a toddler's lungs.
The eldest of the five children was treated with antibiotics and steroids, but the other four required intubation for several days to treat swelling and ulceration. In one child the swelling and ulceration was so extensive that surgery was required.
All the children recovered, but the incidents had "a catastrophic impact on the child and family" and wasted valuable intensive care resources, said the experts.
Cases are on the increase with the National Poisoning Information Service last year receiving 647 phone calls and almost 4000 online searches from health professionals about the eating and swallowing of the contents of liquid detergent capsules –more than double the number of enquiries made about these types of products compared to five years ago.
Dr Fraser added: "It really is only good fortune that we haven't seen a death resulting from this type of injury."
He and colleagues at the Yorkhill hospital are alarmed by the number of children recently admitted as emergencies and have published a letter in the Archives of Diseases in Childhood to warn medics and parents of the dangers of liquitabs. They have also written to the manufacturers alerting them to the problem. Dr Fraser said: "Liquitabs are attractive to young children due to their bright colouring and soft texture. Toddlers are naturally inquisitive and commonly like to place objects in their mouths.
"Most liquitab brands do not come packaged in child-proof containers so it is easy to access them, especially if they are left within reach and sight of young children.
"Most parents are not aware of the dangers of these common household items, storing them in unlocked cupboards within potential reach of their child.
"It is important parents realise liquid capsules are dangerous chemicals and should be kept locked away.
"They must be stored safely at all times, out of reach and sight of young children.
"As with all household cleaning products and bleaches, they should be stored in a locked cupboard or in a cupboard that cannot be accessed by children."