• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Sports centre evacuated after ammonia leak

A sports centre was evacuated after an ammonia leak in the air ventilation system, fire service officials said.

Firefighters and maintenance engineers were called to The Peak in Stirling at about 10.40am yesterday.

The centre was evacuated and one member of staff was treated by paramedics.

A fire service spokeswoman said: "Due to wind conditions, the smell from the diluted ammonia blew into the air vent to the swimming pool.

"The Peak evacuated the sports complex and maintenance engineers ventilated the area.

"The officer in charge requested an ambulance as a precaution, as one staff member was complaining of a sore throat and stinging eyes."

The spokeswoman added people were later allowed back in to the sports complex.

The swimming pool was reopened in the afternoon.

The Peak includes a swimming pool, ice rink, climbing wall, gym and outdoor sports pitches.

A statement on The Peak's website said: "Following the emergency evacuation this morning we have now been advised that The Peak is safe to reopen.

"All fitness classes are running as normal.

"We hope to have the swimming pool reopened by 3.00pm.

"There will be no NHS classes on for the rest of the today. Apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Contextual targeting label: 
Sport

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

207272