• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Students evacuated from university after fire

HUNDREDS of students had to be evacuated from their university after a blaze broke out in a wood workshop and sparked a large dust explosion.

Emergency services raced to Edinburgh Napier's Merchiston campus after a fire ripped through the basement area just after 10.30am. It is thought to have been caused by a piece of equipment overheating.

Although students managed to put out the blaze, embers got into the extraction system which caused a dust explosion, sparking a second fire.

Billy Webster, of the ­Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, said: "In 25 years as a firefighter I have never experienced a dust explosion. The fire damage was mainly confined to the extractor machine although there was considerable smoke damage on the first floor."

The university will re-open today.

Contextual targeting label: 
Fire

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

225250