Ms Hutchison, 19, said: "Orla was at my sister's house playing with my two-year-old nephew who managed to get hold of one of these liquitabs.
"He thought it was a sweetie because it was bright and like a jelly, so he gave it to Orla who bit into it.
"Immediately we realised there was a problem as she was going in and out of consciousness. I phoned an ambulance right away.
"It was terrifying. I'm just so lucky to still have my little girl."
Orla was rushed to intensive care at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill, Glasgow, and spent 10 days in hospital.
Since the incident, which happened before the latest cluster of cases, Ms Hutchison says she's much more careful about where all her family are keeping liquitabs.
She said: "To kids they look like bright sweeties and they are not in a sealed box. Children can get into them so easily and I had no idea what could happen until I saw what happened to Orla.
"When we got to hospital the doctors told me they see this two or three times a year. Now I make sure that all the liquitabs are locked away and I tell everyone to do the same.
"The boxes they come in should be child-proof and I hope manufacturers do something about this, as I wouldn't want this to happen to any other little girl or boy."