• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Toddler's death prompts IKEA lamp safety warning

A SCOTS toddler died after becoming entangled in the cord of a lamp made by furniture firm IKEA.

The infant was in a cot when it was strangled by a wall-mounted lamp's cord.

The incident, which happened in October 2012, has prompted the Swedish company to issue a safety warning about its IKEA SMILA wall mounted lamp.

It is urging all customers who have bought the product to return them to stores to receive a safety kit.

It also told parents to check cords and the lamp are well out of reach of children's cots and playpens.

The safety kit contains a warning label, safety instructions and self-adhesive fasteners for fixing the lamp cord to the wall.

The company refused to give any further information about the death of the toddler.

Thousands of the products are believed to be in circulation and the safety warning has been issued worldwide.

Contextual targeting label: 
Families

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

199564