• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Warning over sale of 'Rolex' ecstasy drugs

A FRESH warning has been issued about drugs being sold as ecstasy after a man who took one of the tablets was rushed to hospital.

Police said the man, from Dumfries and Galloway, suffered hallucinations, overheating, vomiting and a tingling in his fingers and toes after taking the so-called "Rolex" green pill.

The tablets are identical to others that have been found elsewhere in Scotland, Northumbria and Northern Ireland and have been linked to the death of at least one man. They are believed to contain little of the active ingredient of Ecstasy but instead include Paramethoxyamphetamine and Paramethoxymetamphetamine, which are known to raise blood pressure and body temperature.

Chief Inspector Mark Hollis, from Police Scotland, said: "PMMA/PMA is particularly toxic. Both dealers and users may be unaware that what they believe to be ecstasy actually contains PMMA/PMA.

"The combination of MDMA (Ecstasy) and PMA can be particularly hazardous to health and has been linked with numerous deaths world-wide."

Moira Cossar, Service Manager with Dumfries and Galloway's Specialist Drug & Alcohol Service, said: "There is clear evidence that these tablets are potentially very dangerous and can cause serious harm or death."

Contextual targeting label: 
Drugs

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

206266