Beautician Cheznye Emmons, 23, died after drinking gin which had been mixed with methanol while travelling in Indonesia with her boyfriend Joe Cook in April last year.
Yesterday an inquest heard she had the drink, bought from a shop and with a seemingly legitimate label, with friends in Bukit Lawang, northern Sumatra.
She was rushed to hospital after experiencing sudden blindness and convulsions and died five days later.
Outside the hearing, her family described their campaign to prevent other families experiencing such heartbreak.
Mother Pamela Emmons described her daughter as "lively and outgoing".
She added: "She was focused on what she wanted to do with her life. She had lots of friends and had raised money for charity.
"It was like having a chunk of your heart ripped out but we know that she'd be proud of what we're doing to try to save lives."
Father Brenton Emmons, said: "In a lot of these countries they mix methanol with spirits and wine.
"This is being sold in shops, restaurants and bars - places where you might think it is safe. But the message is really 'stick to beer' because otherwise you don't know what risk you are taking."
The family, from Great Wakering, Essex, launched their Save a Life Campaign soon after the death and hope to distribute 20,000 posters about the dangers to doctors' surgeries.
Chelmsford Coroner Eleanor McGann concluded Ms Emmons died as a result of misadventure.