• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Korean ferry boss is held by prosecutors

SOUTH Korean prosecutors have detained the head of the company that owns the ferry that sank last month over an allegation of cargo overloading.

Authorities believe improper stowage and overloading of cargo are one possible reason the ferry sank on April 16, leaving more than 300 people dead or missing.

Four employees at the ferry's owner Chonghaejin Marine Co who handled cargo on the Sewol, have already been arrested.

Kim Han-sik, president of Chonghaejin, was detained ahead of his possible formal arrest on allegations he was aware the ferry exceeded its cargo limit but did not do anything before it started its trip, according to senior prosecutor Yang Jung-jin.

Mr Kim, wearing a cap and mask, told reporters at a detention facility in the south port city of Mokpo: "I feel very sorry for the victims .... their family members. I committed a grave sin."

Mr Yang said prosecutors are investigating Mr Kim's actions before deciding if they will request a court to issue a warrant to formally arrest him.

All 15 surviving crew members involved in the ferry's navigation have been arrested, accused of negligence and failing to protect passengers.

More than three weeks after the sinking, 269 bodies have been retrieved but 35 others are still listed as missing. Searches have been hampered by strong currents.

Contextual targeting label: 
Travel

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

232091