• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

M23 rebels withdraw from towns after deal

Rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo have started withdrawing from two towns captured from government troops after a deal was brokered by Uganda.

The M23 group is giving up gains from a lightning offensive carried out in the past week, but there was no indication it was ending its eight-month-old insurgency.

The revolt against Congo's government has raised the risk of all-out war in a borderlands region dogged by nearly two decades of conflict that has killed about five million people and is fuelled by competition over mineral resources.

"We're leaving Sake, we're leaving Masisi," M23 military leader Sultani Makenga told reporters in rebel-held Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu.

"Goma will be later," he said, adding fighters would eventually pull back 12 miles from the city.

Ugandan military chief Aronda Nyakayirima said on Tuesday that M23 had agreed to withdraw from Goma unconditionally. But M23's political leader Jean Marie Runiga initially cast doubt on the deal, saying the pull-out was contingent on a list of demands.

The rebels captured Goma last week after Congolese soldiers withdrew and UN peacekeepers gave up defending the city.

Contextual targeting label: 
Local government

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

128015