• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Saudi prince's convoy attacked

ARMED robbers have ambushed a Saudi prince's diplomatic convoy in Paris, raiding a Mercedes for valuables then torching and abandoning the vehicle, police and prosecutors said.

The robbers had handguns but did not fire any shot's during Sunday night's attack, the Paris prosecutor's office said.

The car was carrying about 250,000 euros (£200,000) in cash and official embassy documents, a police spokesman said. The gang seemed to be well-informed about the vehicle's itinerary, he added.

The Paris prosecutor's office would not confirm the theft of cash or documents but admitted "things of value" had been taken.

The Mercedes car, with a driver and two passengers, was heading for the city's Le Bourget airport to handle paperwork for the departing prince.

Le Bourget airport is often used for high-level visitors taking private jets to Paris.

Contextual targeting label: 
Automotive

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

255521