• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Turkish PM hits out as two die in clashes

TWO people have died in clashes that erupted in Istanbul and other Turkish cities following the funeral of a teenager who died nine months after being hit by a police tear-gas canister.

A 22-year-old man died in fighting between two groups of youths as police fired water cannons and tear gas to prevent crowds from reaching Istanbul's main square after the burial of 15-year old Berkin Elvan.

In the south-eastern city of Tunceli, a policeman died of a heart attack in clashes with anti-government protesters.

Officials denied reports that tear gas fired by police had triggered the heart attack, insisting the officer had not been exposed to gas.

Anti-government protests have flared since the death of the teenager on Tuesday.

He had been in a coma since being injured last May.

Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan accused the protesters of trying to sow chaos to influence local elections.

He said: "You were supposed to be democrats, pro-freedom. These are charlatans, they have nothing to do with democracy, they do not believe in the ballot box.

"They are saying let's cause chaos and maybe we'll get a result. But my brothers in Ankara and Turkey will give the necessary answer on March 30 (in the local polls)."

Mr Erdogan claimed the clashes and a corruption scandal dogging his administration are part of an anti-government plot.

Contextual targeting label: 
Local government

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.