As round-robin leaders, Sweden had last stone advantage in the first end, but it was Great Britain who scored first. Sweden had blanked the first end but, in the second, their skip Niklas Edin rolled too far with his last stone take-out attempt to give Britain a steal of one point for an early lead.

The teams went into the fifth break level at 2-2 and Britain had another single-point steal in the sixth end when Edin hit and once again rolled too far. Sweden scored one in the seventh to level the game at 3-3, but Britain moved ahead in the eighth when, after a discussion about whether to blank the end, they played a hit and stay to score one point 4-3 lead.

Loading article content

Sweden took the lead for the first time since the third end when, in the ninth end, they scored two points by taking out a British stone that lay open, for 5-4. In the tenth end, Sweden's Edin played a long promote take-out that just missed its target - a British stone sitting on the button. This left Murdoch with a draw to within the four-foot ring to score 2, win the game 6-5 and put a British men's team into the final for the first time since Britain won Olympic gold at the inaugural Olympic Winter Games at Chamonix, France in 1924.

WOMEN: An unfortunate pick-up on a British stone in the first end did nothing to help their cause. Canada opened with two points, then - after the British skip Eve Muirhead's last shot in the second end rolled too far - the GB team found themselves three shots down after two ends.

However, Muirhead's rink got back into the game when a nose-hit by the skip gave them two points, and things looked back on track when they forced Canada's Jennifer Jones to draw for one in the fourth. Muirhead could only take one point in the fifth, as well, though.

Canada were forced to draw for one point in the sixth and then, looking for big scores, Britain drew two blanks. In the eighth end Jones played arguably the most decisive shot of the game with her first stone, a cross-house double that destroyed a good British set-up and forced the second blank. In the ninth, it was Canadian third player Kaitlyn Lawes' turn to deliver the double, and Britain had to settle for just one point.

Britain tried to steal in the last, but Jones delivered her final draw on to the button for the victory.