Last year's beaten finalists Kyles Athletic pulled off the result of the day in the Scottish Hydro Camanachd Cup when they beat holders Newtonmore 2-1 at Tighnabruaich.

The game was a tight, passionate affair as was only to be expected when two of the top teams were drawn together in the early rounds of the sport's most coveted trophy and in the end it came down to who wanted it most.

After a goal-less first half, Roberto Zavaroni put Kyles ahead with a well-taken strike in the 65th minute. Newtonmore's Steven Macdonald levelled in the 84th minute but with the tie looking like it would run into extra time, Colin Macdonald fired Kyles into tomorrow's quarter-final draw with a last-minute strike.

Loading article content

In the other all-Premier League Camanachd Cup match, Glenurquhart won 5-3 at Lochaber. Glenurquhart got off to a flying start with first-half goals from David Smart, Fraser Heath, Neale Reid and James Macpherson to a single Lochaber effort from Scott Paterson.

Macpherson put the Glen further ahead with a fine strike early in the second half. With the game done and dusted, the Glen relaxed and allowed Lochaber to score late goals through Ryan Johnstone and Stuart Callison.

Kinlochshiel had a narrow 1-0 victory away to North Division 1 side Beauly. Shiel's league form has been patchy and they found Beauly a handful. It took a late second-half penalty converted by Jordan Fraser to see the Wester Ross side safely through.

In the battle of the islands, Skye defeated Bute 3-0 in Rothesay thanks to two goals from Jonathan "Shockie" Maclennan and a single from Kenny Campbell.

Kilmallie beat Ballachulish 4-0 courtesy of a brace from Mark Graham, a Michael Rodger penalty and a goal from Ryan Stewart.

In the final Camanachd Cup tie of the day, Fort William inflicted a comprehensive 7-3 defeat on visitors Caberfeidh. Scorers for Fort were Daniel Stewart (3), Bryan Simpson (2), Gordie Mackinnon and Arran Macphee. Strikes from Iain McCall, Craig Morrison and an own goal from Fort's Lewis Smith counted for Cabers.

In the only game in the Orion Group Premiership yesterday, Lovat dropped a point in a 3-3 draw at Inveraray. Goals from Graeme Macmillan and Jamie Matheson gave Lovat a 2-0 half-time lead but strikes from Neil Campbell and Lewis MacNichol brought the Argyll side back into contention.

Macmillan restored Lovat's lead in the 77th minute but an equaliser in the 90th minute gave Inveraray a share of the points. Lovat's draw hands the Premier League initiative to Newtonmore who lead the division by a point, the teams having played eight games each.