THE chances of Usain Bolt, below, competing at the Commonwealth Games have taken a dent after the Jamaican confirmed he has pulled out of his first two scheduled races this summer.

The six-time Olympic champion, still fighting back to full fitness after a foot injury, had been due to compete at the Golden Spike meeting in Ostrava on June 17 before running in Paris on July 5.

And although Bolt says he is back in full training, he has postponed any decision on his appearance at Hampden for either the Games or the preceding Diamond League.

Loading article content

"I hope to be back in competition soon, but how soon will depend on my training in the next few weeks," the 27-year-old said, writing on his Facebook page. "It is important for me to take my time this year as I have three tough years ahead in 2015, 2016 and 2017 as I attempt to defend my world and Olympic titles.

"I definitely plan to compete this season and will continue to work hard with my coach, who I have the utmost confidence in to get me fit and ready to compete."