Both Dundee and Hamilton Academical secured a return to the Scottish top flight last season.

Yesterday they made sure of their places in the second round of the League Cup.

The Dens Park side eased past visitors Peterhead following goals from Simon Ferry, Greg Stewart, Peter MacDonald and Luka Tankulic, while Hamilton progressed less emphatically. Arbroath were overcome 2-1 at home, albeit Kevin Buchan would score a late consolation only.

Loading article content

The most convincing first round victory was delivered by Queen of the South, though. Iain Russell scored a hat trick which was intertwined by goals from Derek Lyle as Elgin City were crushed 5-0 at Palmerston.

Championship rivals Falkirk were made to come from behind to beat Montrose instead. The home side took a shock lead through Garry Wood but Blair Alston equalised shortly afterwards from the penalty spot and Alex Cooper put Falkirk ahead on the stroke of half-time. Scott Shepherd settled it for the visitors after the break.

Dunfermline Athletic won against Annan Athletic with far less anxiety. Alex Whittle put the Fife side ahead and Gregor Buchanan headed in a second. Michael Moffat scored a third goal early in the second half and, after David Hopkirk had pulled a goal back for the visitors, Ryan Wallace and Lewis Martin added two more.

Alloa Athletic, meanwhile, edged out Stirling Albion as a result of Greig Spence's goal and Morton held off Berwick Rangers to triumph 2-1. Joe McKee scored both goals against a Berwick side which lost Paul Currie to a red card late on.

League 1 side Stenhousemuir progressed past Airdrieonians - Alan Lithgow, Paul Sludden and Colin McMenamin were the scorers - while league rivals Ayr United thrashed 10-man East Stirlingshire. Jon Paul McGovern scored a stunning goal to put Ayr ahead before Scott McLaughlin made it 2-0 from the penalty spot and Ryan Donnelly and Brian Gilmour added goals of their own.

It was a much tighter affair between Clyde and Cowdenbeath since the Championship side were trailing at half-time. Goals from Lewis Milne and Kyle Miller took the Fife side into the second round.

Craig Malcolm also scored for Stranraer in a narrow win over East Fife, who had Kevin Smith sent off, and Andy Graham scored the only goal as Dumbarton defeated Brechin City. Raith Rovers needed extra-time to see off Forfar Athletic, meanwhile, with Derek Young scoring an own goal to end the latter club's chances.

Livingston also needed extra time and then penalties to squeeze through against Albion Rovers.