Queen of the South have taken the SPFL Championship by surprise.

A 4-0 demolition of Dumbarton at the Bet Butler Stadium nudged them ahead of Raith Rovers at the top.

It is far too early to deem this anything other than a satisfactory start - six goals scored in two matches for the loss of none - but it suggests there are teams in the division that baulk at talk of a three-horse race.

Loading article content

The Dumfries side were not put off their stride by a swirling wind and from the moment Derek Lyle put them ahead from James Fowler's pass after 20 minutes, there was little doubt where the points were destined.

There was a brief flurry from Dumbarton late in the first half during which Scott Linton sent a header close but Gavin Reilly doubled Queens' advantage five minutes into the second half.

Fowler then removed any doubt about the outcome with a terrific long-range effort which went in off the underside of the crossbar.Iain Russell added a fourth.

Raith Rovers beat Alloa Athletic 1-0 at Recreation Park, a victory more comfortable than the scoreline suggests.

Alloa paid the price for a mix-up in their defence after only four minutes when they left unmarked Ryan Conroy at the back post and he gratefully accepted the gift. Raith continued to press and Mark Stewart pulled a shot narrowly wide as Alloa creaked in defence once again.

Alloa responded and Kevin Cawley had an opportunity but he could not get his 20-yard shot on target.

Liam Buchanan had a couple of chances late in the first half - both from headers - for Alloa but could not direct either on target.

Raith coped comfortably with anything Alloa could muster in the second half and Stewart came close to a second goal with a speculative effort which John Gibson tipped over the top.

Livingston survived a late fightback to beat Cowdenbeath 2-1 at Almondvale.

Shaun Higgins had an early chance for Cowdenbeath but rushed his shot in front of goal and it finished wayward as Livingston took time to settle.

Jordan White had their best effort in the first half but Thomas Flynn was equal to it in the Cowdenbeath goal.

Livingston took the lead just 27 seconds into the second half when Danny Mullen beat Flynn from close range after Keaghan Jacobs' initial effort had been blocked.

The home side increased their lead 16 minutes from the end when White waltzed through a static Cowdenbeath defence before rounding Flynn to prod the ball into the vacant net.

Lewis Milne pulled a goal back for Cowdenbeath in the final minute but it was too late to change the outcome.