Nico Rosberg has acknowledged that "various things" have been learned following the team orders row which unfolded in Hungary, but the Mercedes driver has declined to elaborate on whether clear-the-air talks were resolved to his liking.
Toto Wolff, the team principal, has implemented a new code of conduct with regard to team orders for drivers Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton. Wolff was forced to act following events last month when Hamilton was told to allow Rosberg to pass him during the Hungarian Grand Prix, with the two team-mates running third and fourth respectively at the time and with 20 laps of the race remaining. The differing strategies of the pair forced the pit wall crew at Mercedes into what non-executive chairman Niki Lauda later described as "a panic".
Hamilton, however, declined to let Rosberg overtake, citing the fact the German was never close enough to make the manoeuvre. The drivers eventually finished third and fourth, allowing Hamilton to close the gap on Rosberg in the drivers' standings to 11 points heading into the second half of the season. That starts on Sunday in Belgium.
Loading article content
In speaking with both men, Wolff maintains the drivers will be free to race over the closing eight grands prix, but with a new directive should similar circumstances arise. That has been made clear to both Hamilton and Rosberg, although the German was reluctant last night to explain the directive fully.
"I gather it was a bit of a mess in the media after Hungary, so it's best I don't add too many details," he said. "In general, of course we discussed it after the race because it's important to review a situation like that, and how to move forward. I learned various things from that race which I will adapt for the future."
There has been clarification of sorts for Sergio Perez too, with the Mexican seeming certain to retain his seat with Force India in 2015. The driver will remain wary about his future, though, having had his fingers burned by McLaren last year. Perez felt assured of a place at McLaren beyond last season, only to be moved.
Vijay Mallya, the Force India team principal and co-owner, has already remarked he is likely to take up the options in the contracts of Perez and team-mate Nico Hulkenberg for next season. However, Perez remains coy.
"In the next couple of weeks we should be sorted for next year," said Perez ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix this weekend. "But let's see. From my side it's a bit early to confirm anything, but I expect things to move very quickly. Although as we've seen in the past, anything can happen, so I don't want to confirm anything before we sign."