McCoist spoke to Steve Simonsen, the experienced English goalkeeper he has had on trial at Murray Park this week, about joining the League One club after training yesterday. And the manager, who has brought in eight free agents so far this summer, admitted he is eager to sign another defender and another forward.
Dave King, the South Africa-based businessman and former Rangers director, last week warned the Glasgow club could be in administration by Christmas. Elsewhere, Brian Stockbridge, the Rangers financial director, this week admitted the £22 million raised by a share offering last year had been spent.
However, McCoist, whose side take on Stranraer at Stair Park in the league this afternoon, revealed he is being allowed to press on with his recruitment drive. "I have to take advice like every other manager and coach," he said. "Craig [Mather, Rangers chief executive] will tell me if a signing is possible or not.
"I spoke to Craig on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. I haven't spoken about budgets as such. But they will tell me that enough is enough like any other manager. We have a budget to work with and I am told what I can and can't do. Craig and I will sit down soon and have a good talk again about what we can do and what we can't do and about one or two coming in.
"We've got eight in and seven have gone out," McCoist added. "There will maybe be one or two more leaving as well. But in an ideal world I would bite your hand off for another forward and another defender. It's my job to get a winning team and an attractive team on the park for the fans because that's what they deserve.
"You've got to remember we're bringing in free transfers in here. We're not spending any money on signing targets because of the embargo. But we believe we're bringing in quality players who I believe will improve the team and the squad."