• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Partick Thistle A St Johnstone A: Elemental as anything as referee plays by the book in abandoned match

GWION EDWARDS' first start since August turned out to be an afternoon to forget.

The on-loan Swansea City player was asked to perform against Partick Thistle on the left of St Johnstone's five-man midfield, the area of the Firhill pitch worst affected by the rain that fell relentlessly over the weekend. After 45 minutes of splashing through puddles to no great effect, it was little surprise to the Welshman when referee Kevin Clancy elected to call off the match at half-time due to a waterlogged pitch.

If that wasn't frustrating enough, Edwards' booking - for what seemed like a fairly innocuous tackle - will stay on his record while everything else from the match is wiped from the books. "The left side of the pitch was quite bad and it was hard to judge the ball," he said. "When I was trying to run with it I was just getting caught all the time. I'd have liked to have carried on and a few of the boys wanted to. but the referee has made a decision."

His yellow card was another source of bemusement. "He's booked me for a dangerous tackle apparently. I was just jumping to block the ball and didn't think I caught him, but the referee must have seen something. A few of the boys were telling me that the booking will stand so I was a bit gutted at that. It's a bit harsh but those are the rules, so you've just got to take it and get on with the game."

It was no easier for goalkeepers either, with Partick Thistle's Scott Fox describing the weather as the worst he had played in. "It was terrible," he said. "The wind was swirling, the ground was heavy and you couldn't tell if the ball was going to slide through. In the end it was the right decision. Visibility wasn't a problem. It was just the wind and the way the ball was moving. I was surprised the game started at all."

Thistle, like St Johnstone, had a player booked - Gabriel Piccolo - and lost Isaac Osbourne hurt shortly before the game was abandoned. "We have now got a booking and an injury so I would say the game shouldn't have started," said Alan Archibald, the Thistle manager. "We have always had problems with that area of the pitch. Before the game I was keen to get it on and the ref wanted to give it a go. It is also a strange rule that bookings from this match count. It is something they need to change. "

Contextual targeting label: 

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.