• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Two-year ban for Anderson after BBBC dismiss innocent victim defence

THE British Boxing Board of Control has confirmed that Edinburgh super-middleweight Kenny Anderson has been given a two-year ring ban after testing positive for a banned substance.

The 30-year-old cannot return until October next year at the earliest as a result of failing a routine drugs test following his British super-middleweight title win over Robin Reid 14 months ago. The British Boxing Board of Control has also stripped Anderson of the Lonsdale Belt after he claimed previously that he had vacated the title for "personal reasons".

Anderson insisted his drink had been spiked, but his defence that he was an innocent victim was dismissed by the BBBC's disciplinary panel.

Robert Smith, chief executive of the sport's governing body, said: "He failed a dope test and was suspended for two years. That is the automatic punishment and it usually dates from the time of the boxer's last contest when he produced a positive sample after his fight with Reid in October 2012. After a period of two years has elapsed he can reapply for his licence and we'll take it from there.

"Fortunately, there are not many instances of this in boxing, considering the amount of tests we carry out, on average one a week usually."

Anderson's manager, Steve Wood, added: "Kenny has been fighting the case after claiming that someone spiked his coffee with amphetamine. That was kind of accepted but he was told it is your responsibility what goes in your body and it's just unfortunate that Kenny appealed the decision and obviously lost."

Meanwhile, Edinburgh middleweight Craig McEwan has failed in his attempt to rejuvenate his career in the States. The 31-year-old returned to the ring in New York on Wednesday evening after an absence of eight months, but suffered a unanimous points defeat at the hands of Dashon Johnson in a six-round contest at the BB King Blues Club & Diner, where the judges scored it 58-55, twice, and 57-56 in favour of the home fighter.

It was McEwan's 22nd bout in American after he was forced to cross the Atlantic after being snubbed by British promoters. Since returning from Hollywood nearly two years ago, McEwan has had only five contests despite building an impressive record of 19 wins and only two defeats in five years fighting out of Hollywood.

Contextual targeting label: 
Sport

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

198433