• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Robinson gets a happy return

Former Scotland head coach Andy Robinson enjoyed his first competitive trip back north of the border when his Bristol side came out on top against Gala 17-6 in the British and Irish Cup yesterday.

On a day when swirling wind and rain caused problems up and down the country things did not look good for Gala when Bristol scored an early try through Ryan Edwards at Netherdale.

Two penalties from Gala's Dave O'Hagen would have had director of rugby Robinson and the rest on the Bristol bench looking worried, though, as it put the Maroons 6-5 up.

But two Bristol tries in five minutes before the break killed Gala, Andy Roberts and Iain Grieve being the scorers who put the visitors 17-6 up, and that was the way it stayed after a scoreless second 40 minutes.

In the same competition, Edinburgh Accies lost 33-7 at home to London Welsh, the visitors scoring 24 points after the interval to win at Raeburn Place.

Holders Currie progressed to the RBS Edinburgh Regional Cup final after a 41-0 semi-final win over Watsonians at Myreside.

It took Currie 27 minutes to get on the scoreboard, second-row Petre Neacsu going over.

With the wind at their backs Currie ran in a further six tries after the interval. Prop John Cox went over after 45 minutes with the try converted by full-back George Horne, then nine minutes later No 8 Ross Weston was the scorer, also converted by Horne.

Horne himself touched down three minutes later with Weston, winger Malcolm Peacock and replacement Graeme Carson then crossing and Horne adding one more conversion.

In the final Currie will take on Heriot's, making it the same encounter as last year, after Heriot's edged out Boroughmuir 21-19 at Meggetland.

Glasgow Hawks have booked a place in the RBS West Regional Cup final after they beat Marr 36-3 at Old Anniesland.

The home side had gone 17-3 up at the break and added three more tries in the second 40 minutes to come through.

In their final pool match GHA defeated Dalziel 36-7 meaning they will play Hillhead/Jordanhill in the semi-final in early January.

In the Borders, Melrose defeated Selkirk to go top of the pile with group matches still to go. Hawick were leading Kelso 28-16 when the match was abandoned in the 68th minute, although the result will stand.

Contextual targeting label: 

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.