Tradition played a great part in the life of Frank Alan Ritchie Hunter. He was educated at Fettes College, Edinburgh, a school that has educated Hunters since 1870. His grandfather was the first Old Fettesian to be capped by Scotland.

At school Alan showed a rare ability for athletics, and his speed also made him a regular member of the 1st XV. In 1932, he was a Scottish schoolboy international and scored two tries in the match against England. He went on to become president of the Old Fettesian Association in the 1970s, a position that he was proud, and

typically humbled, to be elected to.

On leaving school, he went to London and began a career in insurance. From 1932 to 1940, he worked for the Commercial Union Assurance Company, Paris, London, Madras, Karachi & Bombay.

At he same time, his athletic prowess grew and he represented Scotland and Britain in the 440-yard hurdles. Apart from being an AAA champion, his proudest moments came in 1934 when he won the gold at the then Empire Games, now the Commonwealth Games. He also got a bronze medal at the same games in the quarter-mile relay, both in the Scottish vest. The following year he was reserve for the Scotland XV. He was a true amateur and gentleman athlete.

His insurance career took him to India, then still very much part of the Empire, where he won innumerable medals at many sports, and also held the all -Indian record for the hurdles. When the Second World War broke out he answered the call to arms and joined the Indian Army.

After the war he decided that soldiering was for him and joined the regular army, returning to Britain in 1947. Shortly afterwards he was sent to Korea. For his outstanding service there he was awarded the OBE, in addition to being mentioned in dispatches. He retired from the army in 1955, with the rank of lieutenant colonel and as assistant military secretary to

the GOC northern command. Returning to his first career of insurance, he then joined the Provincial Insurance Company of Kendal, becoming branch manager in Glasgow with responsibility for a large part of Scotland, from Dumfries to Thurso. From 1966 to1967 he was chairman of the British Insurance Association in Scotland and was president of the Insurance and Actuarial Society of Glasgow from 1969 to 1970.

He became office manager of Bain Dawes (Scotland) Ltd and when he retired in 1979, moved to Essex and then in 1986, at the age of 75, emigrated to Australia.

He had ridden horses from a very tender age, had hunted almost as soon as he could walk, joined a cavalry regiment in India, where he played polo, flat raced, and steeplechased. He was involved in several hunts in India, Scotland, as secretary of the Lanark and Renfrew, and England, and too many pony clubs to list.

In Australia he returned to his life-long love of horses and gave 10 years of service to the Pony Club of Western Australia where he became both commissioner and president.

It was an ambition of his that he should be able to ride a horse on his 80th birthday, and like so many goals that he had in life, he achieved this. He was always full of fun and liked to tell a good story and his sesnse of humour, modesty, honesty, and integrity are the qualities many friends have recalled since his death.

Alan and his wife, Molly,

celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary on January 16, 2002, an event he was determined to attend. He looked far younger than his 88 years as he made his speech.

He died in hospital in Perth, Western Australia, following a short illness.

He is survived by his wife, Molly, two sons, and two daughters.

Lieutenant Colonel FAR (Alan) Hunter, OBE; born November 16,1913, died April 25, 2002.