Newport ................. 7

Glasgow Caley ..... 18

GLASGOW Caledonians won their second game in the Welsh Rugby Union Challenge Trophy over Newport but their participation in the competition is over.

Fly-half Luke Smith scored a personal tally of 13 points in a game in which Glasgow had three players sin-binned.

Coach Keith Robertson will have read the riot act to his players after this performance and, if truth be told, they should have waltzed through this game.

The Reds failed to convert a number of try scoring opportunities and have no one else to blame but themselves. They now play Bridgend in their final Pool B game on Wednesday night

looking for their third win in the competition.

The Reds had Newport on the back foot from the first whistle and went into an early lead when fly-half Smith converted his first penalty.

Strong-running centre Ian

Jardine caused the Newport

midfield all sorts of problems but his team-mates were unable to take advantage of his excellent work.

However, in the twentieth minute the game took a bizarre twist when Glasgow prop Willie Anderson was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes for not retiring 10 yards after a quick-tapped penalty by Newport scrum half Steve Moore.

With the Reds down to 14 men, the home side took advantage and were camped on the Reds' line, but despite the Newport pressure Glasgow broke from their own line to score the game's first try by captain Rob Wainwright.

Winger Derek Stark fly-hacked the ball but Glasgow regathered and Wainwright popped up in the left-hand corner to stretch his side's lead to 8-0.

On the half-hour Glasgow were down to 13 men when Marty Waite was also sin-binned for offside and joined Anderson on the touchline.

They conceded a penalty try at a five-yard scrum, which Newport fly-half Shaun Connor converted to make the half-time score 7-8.

After the break, Glasgow stretched their lead with a Smith penalty but they also had a third player sin-binned and were down to 14 men again.

Fly half Smith was shown the yellow card for deliberate offside and first-choice outside half Tommy Smith was drafted in and replaced winger James Craig.

The Reds finally sealed their victory with fly-half Smith, who had returned after serving his 10 minutes in the bin, scoring a solo try.

Newport - M Cardey; J Critchley, M Watkins, K Nichols, M Llewellyn; S Connor, S Moore; C Jones, G Hicks, S Cronk (captain), G Taylor, M Workman, J Powell, B Clark, A Popham.

Glasgow Caledonians - G Metcalfe; D Stark, A Collins, I Jardine, J Craig; L Smith, G Beveridge; W Anderson, K McKenzie, G McIlwham, S Campbell, S Grimes, R Wainwright (captain), G Flockhart, M Waite.