Ebbw Vale ............. 22

Glasgow Caley ...... 33

Glasgow Caley Reds made amends for recent reverses as they opened their WRU Challenge Trophy account with a resounding win in the chilly Welsh valleys yesterday.

With a little more application in the closing stages, the Reds would have enjoyed an even bigger winning margin. Instead, having achieved a superior try count of 4-1, which would have earned them a bonus point, they allowed the Welshmen to register two late touchdowns.

Reds chief coach Keith Robertson admitted the gloss had been taken off his side's win by their late slump. However, he said: ''Overall I've got to be satisfied as we came here to get a victory and to improve on our tri-series defeat by the Reivers and we've achieved both.''

The Reds, so disappointing in recent outings, made a lightning start, inspired by Stuart Grimes' lineout claim against the put in.

Tommy Hayes embarked on a mazy run before misplacing his pass to Shaun Longstaff. However, Ebbw Vale's backs were penalised for offside and Hayes slotted the penalty to put the visitors ahead in just two minutes.

The Reds should have been further rewarded when they were given another penalty in front of the posts. However, Hayes screwed his kick wide.

Vale were almost presented with a gift when Longstaff's hospital pass put Alan Bulloch under pressure. The debutant full back was forced to concede a scrum-five and from the resultant pressure Caley finally caved in.

Fly-half Jason Strange linked superbly with Gareth Green before flipping up a pass which put Jonathan Hawker in under the posts. Strange added a conversion.

The Reds responded within five minutes. Ian Jardine's power saw him break two tackles before releasing Longstaff. He flicked the ball to fellow winger Derek Stark who dived over in the corner. Hayes added a superb conversion to atone for his earlier boob.

In 28 minutes Glasgow were celebrating again when flanker John Shaw was driven over from a lineout near the corner.

Vale refused to lie down, embarking on a series of attacks which had the Reds defending desperately.

The visitors were penalised for offside, giving Strange an easy chance to reduce the leeway. However, the eight-point cushion was restored at half-time when Hayes slotted his second penalty.

There was better to follow when, within 30 seconds of the restart, Caley conjured their third try of the afternoon. Hayes sent a long pass towards Longstaff whose searing pace did the rest.

Glasgow struck again 52

minutes. Gordon Simpson set up an easy chance for Jardine. Hayes added the conversion and a further penalty to put the Reds in street.

The Reds appeared to ease off and were punished when Olsen intercepted Fraser Stott's long pass to jink passed four men for an individual try. The margin was

further reduced in stoppage time when David Manley went over in the corner and Strange converted.

Ebbw Vale - Taumalolo; Harries, Landrey, Hawker, Olsen; Strange, Jones: Thomas,

Peacock, Moa, Banks, Faletau, Budgett, Green, Jones. Replacements - Bowd for Hawker (66), Campbell for Peacock (64), Metcalfe for Moa (50), Billen for Budgett (55).

Glasgow - A Bulloch; Stark, Jardine, Leslie, Longstaff; Hayes, Stott; McIlwham, G Bulloch, Anderson, Campbell, Grimes, Simpson, Shaw, Waite. Replacements - Patterson for Stott (71), McKenzie for G Bulloch (67), Manson for Anderson (67), Petrie for Simpson (67),

Flockhart for Waite (25).

Referee - G Simmonds (Cardiff).

Scorers: Ebbw Vale: Tries - Hawker, Olsen, Manley. Conversions - Strange (2). Penalties - Strange. Glasgow Caledonians: Tries - Stark, Shaw, Longstaff, Leslie. Conversions - Hayes (2). Penalties - Hayes (3).